An article posted on the Livingston County News of Geneseo NY, about the...
Linda Messbauer has recently been featured on the She Knows Parenting web...
Linda wanted to share with you a speech written by Mr. Robert Hughes for the...
SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENTS GET BOOST
WAYLAND - When special needs...
Support Letter regarding Interior Designers and MSE
I have been asked to write a supporting letter for why an Interior Designer should take a course on Multi-Sensory Environments. My answers would be the following:
- To understand how the impact of design can create a harmonious peaceful setting or one that puts individuals into high stressful visual environments
- Understand how shape, line and color are part of our neurological genetic makeup and how best to work with these principles (the visual processing system)
- Understand how design can influence emotions, and aid in changing challenging behaviors in Schools and Nursing Homes
- Understand the impact and differences of sensory overload verses sensory stimulation on the body and brain
- Understand functional lighting and its impact on the very core of activities of daily living; including memory retrieval and learning and influencing sleep patterns and eating (Major problems in Nursing homes)
- Understand what dynamic brain arousal continuums are and how design will assist in positive changes
I could go on and on about the need for better communication and integration of Professionals for obtaining better results for those with special needs. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well below is a Government Approved Head Start school classroom for Autistic preschoolers; the children in this room were screaming, hitting their ears, banging their heads, covering their eyes and not one interacted with this “enriched environment”.